Monday 26 September 2011

oh holy wall sit

Can we please let out a collective groan? This fitness test business is an eye opener!

I am yet to do the run, we woke up to rain today and it's still there. I'm hoping that either it will fine up this evening or I can get it done tomorrow. But given the rest of my results I'm fairly comfortable in putting myself in the beginners category.

Push ups? I actually surprised myself here. I managed twenty two! But I'm not counting the last because I think it was pretty poor form, so I've put myself down as twenty one. The problem I have though is no one was watching me to see if they were being executed properly? I think for the next fitness test I will video record it and see if I'm doing them to standard or just doing half the push up. All I know is my arms were burning by the end of it and I was laying on the mat wondering why the hell I signed up for this.

Ok, next. The wall sit. I was using my phone to time myself (It has a stopwatch and a countdown timer) so I put myself against the wall and lowered myself into position to see if I was reading the picture right. Ha. My legs shook almost straight away. Yes, definitely the right position! So I hit start on my phone and dropped it, pushed back against the wall and stared straight ahead. I'm sure I had been there at least an hour when my legs turned completely jellyfied and I hit stop.

Thirty seven seconds. Oh dear.

Ab stages. I managed one. Just one. And to be honest, again, I feel like my technique probably isn't correct. I think my back is doing the work, not my abs. Evident by the fact that without my arms for momentum I can't get anywhere.

The sit and reach is probably the most embarrassing stat out of the lot. I couldn't get anywhere near my feet. Mich says to give yourself three attempts and to take the best...I could have given it thirty, I wasn't getting anywhere. I've put myself down at -20cm because I think that's close to where I was. Definitely not even close to intermediate. I've decided I'm getting back into pilates, I can't believe how much flexibility I am lacking!

After laughing for a good few minutes in an attempt not to cry at the failure to wow myself I put on an exercise DVD. I guess biggest loser trainers are my thing at the moment, I had Jillian Michaels yelling at me to keep going with her 30 day shred video. I was barely coping, puffing, panting, sweating. It seriously kicks your butt.  But after finishing it I feel pretty good for making an effort. I wish I could afford a heart rate monitor so I could see just how much it's working my body! Off to stalk ebay and gumtree...

Today is food shopping day in our house. Unfortunately due to budget restrictions I couldn't change it to earlier so today I am not following the meal plan. For breakfast I had one piece of toast and I've had a piece of cheese and some crackers for a snack with my son (who also had sultanas and dried apricots). I've had two glasses of water. I'm feeling good for 11:48am on the first day!

I have grief counselling this afternoon...so after the physical work out I'm headed to the emotional one. I didn't go last week and I'm scared to go back again now.  He's been gone for four weeks. I'm feeling ok. Lonely and wishing I could hear his voice telling me he was proud of me. He was always the first to support me when I tried to be healthier. He would be doing this with me.

S.

No comments:

Post a Comment